TSE permit application are required to be filed with LADBS and the appropriate fees must be paid before inspections can be performed. Applications can be filed as follows:
- Prior to attempting to obtain a permit from LADBS, it is necessary to physically visit the LAFD and LAPD offices to obtain the name and telephone number of the employee you've spoken with regarding your event; permit numbers from any requisite permits issued by those departments should be retained as well.
- In certain cases, it is necessary to receive approval from the Los Angeles Department of City Planning prior to initiating the permit application with LADBS
- All LADBS TSE permit applications must be submitted electronically on the LADBS website for Express Permits, which is located at: www.buildla.lacity.org.
- When prompted to supply information on a contact person for the event, be sure to provide detailed contact information for the individual who will be present at the time of inspection
Events that exceed five (5) days or do not qualify as Temporary Special Events normally require a building permit or special approval from the Superintendent of Building prior to the event.
Approval from Los Angeles Department of City Planning (LADCP):
Some events entail zoning and land use conditions that must be considered by the Los Angeles Department of City Planning. All TSE applicants must provide responses to a questionnaire that determines whether or not their proposed event requires clearance by the LADCP. For those proposed events that do require LADCP clearance, approval of a Planning Clearance Application by LADCP is required before a permit can be issued by LADBS for the event. For questions, please call LADCP at (213) 482-0421 or visit the Public Counter located on the 4th floor of our Metro location.
Approval from Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD):
A safety plan showing the layout of the event must be approved by the Los Angeles Fire Department prior to submitting an application to LADBS. The approved safety plan must be made available to the Building and Safety inspector at the time of the site inspection. An approval from LAFD is required for tents, having an area of 450 square feet or more. You will be required to provide the name and telephone # of the LAFD officer on the LADBS TSE application, after you have contacted them.
To obtain a permit from the LAFD, contact the appropriate unit at the following numbers:
- Public assembly unit
- For events located south of Mulholland Drive, call (213) 978-3640.
- For events located north of Mulholland Drive, call (818) 374-1110.
- Film unit
- For events involving filming, call (213) 978-3676 or (213) 978-3670.
- Schools and churches unit
- For events held in schools and churches, call (213) 978-3660.
- Institutions unit
- For events held in institutions, call (213) 978-3730.
- High rise unit
- For events held in high rise buildings, call (213) 978-3600.
Approval from Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD):
A permit from the LAPD is required for Dances, Carnivals, live music, or Alcohol use. LAPD permits are processed by the Office of Finance. For more information on how to obtain an LAPD permit, contact the Office of Finance at: (213) 996-1210. You will be required to provide the name and telephone number of the LAPD officer on the LADBS TSE application after you have contacted them.
Approval from Los Angeles Department of Public Works:
Events held in the public right-of-way, such as sidewalk sales, require a permit from the Department of Public Works > Bureau of Street Services > Street Use Division. For more information on how to obtain a Street Use permit for a Special Event, contact the Street Use Division at (213) 847-6029. This Department will coordinate and collect fees for the permit from LADBS.
Approval from Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
For auto sales to be conducted for 5 days or less, complete the DMV form OL 73 Opens in new window.