Senate Bill 9: Two Unit Development and Urban Lot Split

Image of Downtown Los Angeles

General Information

Two-Unit Development (TUD)

SB 9 allows for two dwelling units on a single family zoned lot, subject to eligibility criteria and certain development standards. The dwelling units may be detached or attached. Permit applications TUDs may be submitted to LADBS for plan check and permitting.


Urban Lot Splits (ULS)

SB 9 allows an existing single family zoned parcel to be subdivided into two parcels, subject to eligibility criteria and certain development standards. A project may combine a ULS with a TUD with certain limitations. ULS applications may be filed with City Planning for review and processing.

Development Standards and Requirements

An SB 9 project is subject to eligibility criteria and certain development standards as detailed in the State Bill and summarized in the Inter-Departmental Memo, both of which can be found at the links on the menu to the left of this page. An SB 9 Eligibility Checklist can be found on ZIMAS by searching the project address, expanding the "Planning and Zoning" section on the left side menu, and clicking on "view" next to "SB 9 Eligibility".

Objective zoning, subdivision or design review standards that would have the effect of physically precluding the construction of two dwelling units of 800 square feet in floor area each or an Urban Lot Split, may not be imposed. Deviations will be reviewed by Los Angeles Department of City Planning.

All other standards such as the City of Los Angeles Building and Residential Codes must be fully complied with.

Contact Information

Department of Building and Safety

Virtual Counter:

Phone: 3-1-1 (within the City of Los Angeles) or (213) 473-3231

Development Services Case Management:


Department of City Planning



Housing Department

Phone: (213) 928-9097

Land Use Unit:

RSO and Ellis Act:


Fire Department

Hydrants and Access:

Fire Life Safety Questions:


Department of Public Works, Bureau of Engineering

BOE Customer Service Portal


Department of Water and Power

Electrical Service: (213) 367-6937

Water Service: (213) 367-2130


Department of Public Works, Bureau of Street Services - Urban Forestry Division

(213) 847-3077